Fish Oil (Omega-3) 101: Benefits, Heart Health, Diabetes and Knee Pain (2022)
Fish oil supplements are some of the most useful supplements out there. This is because they provide so many essential nutrients. These nutrients help with pain relief, lung health, joint health and all manner of health benefits. Listed below are the top seven fish oil supplements on the market. This list should help you narrow down your choices when it comes to fish oil supplements.
OMEGA-3 SUPPLEMENTS BENEFITS
On the other hand, flaxseed oil contains the omega-3 fatty acid known as alpha-linoleic acid (ALA) (Trusted Source). Flaxseed oil also contains linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid. Linoleic acid and arachidonic acid (AA) are the Omega-6 fatty acids that have been found to possess potential cancer protective properties. The human body converts linoleic acid into GLA (Gamma-Linoliec Acid), and the latter get converted into AA.
However, ALA isn’t biologically active and needs to be converted to EPA and DHA to be used for something other than just stored energy like other types of fat (Trusted Source).
While ALA is still an essential fatty acid, EPA and DHA are linked to many more health benefits (Trusted Source). Additionally, the conversion process from ALA to EPA and DHA is quite inefficient in humans (Trusted Source). For example, one study found that only 5% of ALA is converted to EPA and less than 0.5% of ALA is converted to DHA in adults (Trusted Source).
EPA and DHA can reduce inflammation, which causes swelling and pain. Research has indicated that both acids might suppress the body’s immune system. However, a 2016 study suggests that DHA might enhance immune function instead. DHA is more effective at reducing inflammation than EPA, but both have a role.
Omega-3 and COVID-19
EPA and DHA have a direct influence in the immunological response to viral infections and can modulate immune response and function.
Animal-based omega-3 fats, especially DHA, also help prevent thrombosis (a blood clot within a blood vessel) by decreasing platelet aggregation. Hypercoagulation is another complication of severe COVID-19 infection that can have lethal consequences.
Omega-3 also lowers your risk of lung dysfunction, protects against lung damage and secondary bacterial infections, and improves mitochondrial function.
Research shows that by lowering triglycerides, the risk of developing a cytokine storm is diminished. Omega-3 supplementation is known to lower triglycerides, but krill oil does so more effectively than fish oil.
Omega-3 and Heart Health
- Fatal Heart Attack - 35%
- Heart Attack (myocardial infarction)- 13%
- Risk of death form Coronary Heart Disease - 9%
Omega-3 and Knee Pain
EPA and DHA can reduce inflammation, which causes swelling and pain. Research has indicated that both acids might suppress the body’s immune
system. However, a 2016 study suggests that DHA might enhance immune function instead. DHA is
more effective at reducing inflammation than EPA, but both have a role.
For the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil to work against arthritis, it’s necessary to consume a fairly large quantity of it each day. Fish oil — or cod liver oil — enclosed in capsules makes this fairly easy.
On the other hand, because cod liver oil contains very high amounts of vitamin A and vitamin D, taking too much can be toxic. For the purpose of treating arthritis, fish oil is the safer choice.
Omega-3 and Diabetes
“Baseline plasma samples were analyzed for GAD65 antibodies and phospholipid n-3 PUFAs. Adjusted hazard ratios (HRs) for incident diabetes in relation to GAD65 antibody status and tertiles of plasma phospholipid n-3 PUFA or fish intake were estimated using Prentice-weighted Cox regression …
The hazard of diabetes in antibody-positive individuals with low intake of total and fatty fish, respectively, was significantly elevated (HR 2.52 and 2.48) compared with people who were GAD65 antibody negative and had high fish intake, with evidence of additive (AP 0.44 and 0.48) and multiplicative interactions.
Individuals with high GAD65 antibody levels (≥167.5 units/mL) and low total plasma phospholipid n-3 PUFAs had a more than fourfold higher hazard of diabetes …”
Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Life SpanThe Framingham study group is one of the longest-running longitudinal health data sets in existence. Since 1971, the residents of this small Massachusetts town have given us everything from heart health data to their knee annual MRI images. That’s where the data for this new Omega-3 research originates.
The study, published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, used data from a long-term study group, the Framingham Offspring Cohort, which has been monitoring residents of this Massachusetts town, in the United States, since 1971.
The research looked at 2,200 people who were monitored for 11 years for their blood fatty acid levels. The researchers found that omega-3 levels in red blood cells are very good mortality risk predictors. That means that higher levels of Omega-3 in the blood from regularly eating oily fish, increased life expectancy by almost five years.
Study of 29,000 blood samples finds higher omega-3 levels associated with lower marker of inflammation
BEST FISH OIL SUPPLEMENTS OF 2022
1. Nordic Naturals Omega-3
2. Omega-3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil
- Sourced from Wild Alaskan Pollock
- 90 day money back guarantee
- Maximum total oxidation of 5
- Comes in fish gelatin capsule
This is a fantastic fish oil supplement, and it easily won out against the
other supplements on this list. The source is proudly displayed, and it is
sustainable which is a big plus for environmentally conscious people. The
more practical benefits are even better. The soft capsules are easy to
swallow, even if they are a little too big. They also do their job quickly
thanks to the high absorption rate. It is also surprising that these
capsules are so cheap. Usually products of this caliber are a lot more
expensive than the market average. These capsules are so cheap that pretty
much anyone would be able to afford them.
They are also very long lasting. Under the right conditions they end up surviving for long periods of time. This is great for people that want to stock up on them, and helps make them even more affordable. We were hard pressed to find anything that we didn’t like about this product.
- Suitable for pescatarians (do not eat meat but do eat fish).
- Sustainably sourced from wild fish, not farmed
- Highly long lasting capsules under reasonable conditions
- Soft capsules that are usually easy to swallow
- Quickly has an effect on the body
- Surprisingly affordable
- Capsules are slightly large
3. OmegaXL® 60 Count – Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acid
- Blend of 30 fatty acids
- Sourced from Green Lipped Mussel
- Contains Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Small capsules
All of that being said, while this capsule does offer benefits it has its drawbacks too. For example, it is not quite as effective as the other products on this list which is why it couldn’t get past seventh place. This also a fairly expensive fish oil supplement, so a lot of people might go for better options especially since they are more affordable than this one.
- Small capsules are easy to swallow
- Neutral taste
- Source of fatty acids clearly displayed
- Does not work as effectively as other products
- High price per dose
4. Res-Q 1250
- 200 capsules per bottle
- Designed to reduce cholesterol
- Blend of Omega 3 fatty acids
- Fish oil comes in gel capsules
The fish oil in the capsules is quite pure though. It also has legitimate omegy 3 fatty acids instead of just fish oil which a lot of other products offer. This fish oil is enriched with the necessary nutrients. The aforementioned benefits as well as the high price point makes this less suitable than a lot of the other options on this list though. It is still a decent option that you can try.
- Capsules mostly comprised of fatty acids with fewer additives
- Genuinely reduces cholesterol levels
- Contains actual Omega 3 fatty acids rather than simple fish oil
- Neutral capsule flavor
- Relatively expensive compared to other capsules
- Positive effects require high capsule intake
- Does not work as quickly as advertised
5. NOW Omega-3 1000mg
- 200 softgels
- Molecularly distilled
- 1000mg per capsule
- Cholesterol free
While these capsules are easy to swallow, they don’t taste very good. This spoils the experience a little and might make them tough to swallow for some. A few consumers have also reported some of the capsules containing visible impurities. You should bear all of this in mind before you buy the product.
- High dosage means daily requirement is easily met
- Soft capsules are easy to swallow
- Does not cause any gastric distress
- Capsules last quite a long time under right conditions
- Strong fishy smell makes capsules tough to swallow
- Reports of some capsules containing impurities
6. BEST TRIPLE STRENGTH Omega 3 Fish Oil Pills
- Lemon flavored
- 2500mg strength
- Molecularly distilled
- Sourced from cold US waters
The capsules are perhaps the easiest to swallow out of all of the other products on this list. This is because of the fact that they are lemon flavored. This is even more palatable than a neutral flavor. You will also appreciate this product’s fast acting nature.
A couple things you might not like are that the capsules melt a little too easily as well as the gassiness they might cause. The formula is marketed as being burp free, but some consumers have reported feeling bloated or gassy after having it.
- Very potent formula fulfills daily requirement quickly
- Has an impact on the body soon after regular consumption
- Pleasant flavor makes capsules quite easy to swallow
- Improves heart, skin and lung health
- Prone to melting, won’t last very long
- Causes gassiness in spite of supposedly burp free formula
7. Nature Made Burpless Fish Oil 1000 mg
- No artificial colors or flavors
- Free of preservatives and yeast
- 1000mg capsules
- Contains 150 capsules
However, the pills are a little too hard. This makes them tough to swallow. Another problem you might have with this product is that it takes a long time for it to have a complete effect on your body, although that’s reasonable considering the additive free formula.
- Suitable for people with gluten allergies
- Mid strength formula means relaxed dosage regimen
- Pure formula free of artificial elements
- Suitable for animals as well as humans
- Does not cause fishy burps or other kinds of gassiness
- Takes a long time to have effect
- Pills are slightly hard, makes them slightly difficult to swallow
8. Dr. Tobias Omega 3 Fish Oil Triple Strength
- Enteric coating for fast absorption
- Purified through molecular distillation
- 180 soft gel capsules per bottle
- Includes access to healthcare and diet videos
The supplement isn’t exactly perfect, though. The bottle is kind of fragile which can be a nuisance. Also, some consumers have reported that the capsules are weak too and that they frequently leak. Both these issues could potentially make a huge mess that you would have to clean up.
- Absorbed quickly into the body resulting in fast benefits
- Highly purified formula through molecular distillation
- Completely tasteless
- Sustainably sourced
- Free of genetically modified components
- Several complaints of leaking capsules
- Somewhat fragile