12 Best Vitamin D3 Supplements Review 2023
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). Found in some animal foods, like fatty fish and egg yolks.
- Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol). Found in some plants, mushrooms, and yeasts.
What is Vitamin D Good For?
What is the Best Form of Vitamin D?
Is vitamin D better absorbed in liquid form? Although no studies have been conducted specifically on liquid vitamin D-3, liquid supplements are considered more bioavailable.
Vitamin D2 vs Vitamin D3
What is the Best Strength of Vitamin D to Take?
Best Vitamin D3 Supplement Brands in 2023
Here are our 12 best vitamin D3 supplements that you can buy over the counter or online today.
1. NatureWise Vitamin D3 1,000 iu (25 mcg)
- 4.8 out of 5 - more than 130,000 global ratings
- MOST ACTIVE FORM: NatureWise Vitamin D3 in organic olive oil helps to support the health of teeth and bones, provide immune support, and promote proper muscle function.
- RECOMMENDED DOSE FOR KIDS & MOMS: 1000IU is the recommended amount of vitamin D3 for growing children and expecting mothers, but our product is intended to safely encourage calcium absorption and immune system strength in any user.
- SUNSHINE IN A BOTTLE: The Vitamin Council recommends daily vitamin D supplementation for most adults to achieve and maintain optimal levels, regardless of weather or season.
- ESSENTIAL VITAMIN: Our formula delivers the same biologically active form of vitamin D that the body produces as a result of sun exposure, without the harmful of UVB rays.
- ENHANCED ABSORPTION: Our Vitamin D 1000 IU softgels are easy to swallow. Some studies indicate that vitamin D3 in liquid softgel form is more bioavailable than powdered or tablet forms.
2. Sports Research Vitamin D3 + K2
- Contains 5000 IU (125mcg) of Vegan Vitamin D3 & 100 mcg of Vitamin K2 as MK-7. Suitable for those whose vitamin D level is deficient or insufficient.
- Made with Vitashine D3 - a patent, plant based form of Vitamin D3 from Lichen and MenaQ7 - a patent form of MK7 from Chickpea
- 100% Plant based - Vegan Certified & Non-GMO Verified. Soy, Gluten, Gelatin & Carrageenan free
- Vitamin D3 (1,000 IU softgels) > Check Price on Amazon
- Vitamin D3 (2,000 IU softgels) > Check Price on Amazon
- Vitamin D3 (5,000 IU softgels) > Check Price on Amazon
- Vitamin D3 (10,000 IU softgels) > Check Price on Amazon
- Vitamin D3 + K2 (5,000 IU softgels) > Check Price on Amazon
- Vitamin D3 + K2 (gummy) > Check Price on Amazon
- Vegan D3 (5,000 IU) > Check Price on Amazon
3. Nature Made Vitamin D3 - Best Budget Vitamin D Supplement
If you're looking to save money, Nature Made offers some of the best supplements on the market at a competitively low price point. Its softgels containing 2000 IU of vitamin D3 currently cost less than $6 for a 90-day supply and have earned USP verification — a third-party certification that attests to the product's quality in terms of manufacturing and ingredients.
Nature Made also offers vitamin D in other dose strengths, ranging from 1,000 to 5,000 IU, so there are options for folks with varying degrees of vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency. Be sure to check with your doctor to find out what dosage is right for you.
- #1 Pharmacist Recommended
- 85.9% Labdoor Score
- Ratings: 4.8 out of 5 – more than 20,000 global ratings.
4. Bronson Vitamin K2 (MK7) with D3 Supplement
- Amazon Customer Reviews: 4.8 out of 5 (more than 12,000 ratings)
- Bronson vitamin D3 supplements are available in different dose forms: 2,000 IU, 5,000 IU and 10,000 IU.
- Caution and Concern: Bronson organic vitamin D3 supplement 10,000 IU is a high dose vitamin D3 supplement. Do not take this dose unless instructed and monitored by your healthcare professional.
5. Vitamin D by Nature’s Bounty for Immune Support
- More than 14,000 customer reviews and a 4.8 out of 5 overall rating on Amazon.
- Immune support: 350-count, 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 Softgels for immune health. Vitamin D by Nature’s Bounty may assist the immune system by helping to regulate T and B-lymphocytes. Vitamin D3 is a more potent form of Vitamin D.
- Strong, healthy bones: In addition to immune support, getting a sufficient amount of Vitamin D is critical to building and maintaining strong bones in adults. It is essential for calcium absorption to help support healthy bones. Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D3 Softgels supplement the Vitamin D your body needs for overall health.
- Year-round support: Vitamin D3 supplements by Nature’s Bounty contain the same form of Vitamin D that is naturally formed in the body through exposure to sunshine. Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D3 helps replicate the benefits of natural sunshine all year long.
- Purity is our priority: Nature’s Bounty is committed to safety and purity in all our supplements. Our rapid release Vitamin D3 Softgels are non-GMO, gluten- and sugar-free, and contain no artificial colors, or sweeteners.
- From the trusted wellness experts: Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D supplements are a product of 50 years of dedication to quality, consistency and scientific research to make vitamins and nutritional supplements of unrivaled excellence.
6. Z-Stack Vitamin D3, Quercetin, Zinc and Vitamin CZ Stack Supplement
Quercetin is a zinc ionophore. Meaning it transports zinc into the cells. It is known that zinc will slow down the replication of coronavirus through inhibition of enzyme RNA dependent RNA polymerase (PubMed 2010). The COVID-19 virus is a single stranded RNA (RiboNucleicAcid) virus and requires the RNA polymerase to replicate.
Vitamin C and quercetin co-administration exerts a synergistic antiviral action due to overlapping antiviral and immunomodulatory properties and the capacity of ascorbate to recycle quercetin, increasing its efficacy.
- What is the Zelenko protocol? The Zelenko COVID-19 Protocol was developed by Dr Vladimir Zelenko. A retrospective study analyzing Dr Zelenko's patient data was accepted for publication in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents after a rigorous peer review process. The study finds that early intervention and treatment of high-risk patients with COVID-19 resulted in significantly fewer hospitalizations and deaths. The treatment consisting of zinc, low-dose hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), and azithromycin, is also referred to as "The Zelenko Protocol." Dr Zelenko has since updated his protocols to incorporate new evidence.
7. Bronson Vitamin D3 2,000 IU - Best Organic Vitamin D3 Supplement
- Amazon Customer Reviews: 4.7 out of 5 (more than 2,000 ratings)
- Bronson vitamin D3 supplements are available in different doses: 2,000 IU, 5,000 IU and 10,000 IU. We recommend taking the lower dose (2,000 IU) for long term maintenance unless your doctor recommends otherwise.
- Caution and Concern: Bronson organic vitamin D3 supplement 10,000 IU is a high dose vitamin D3 supplement. Do not take this dose unless instructed and monitored by your healthcare professional.
8. Dr. Mercola Liposomal Vitamin D3
- Unlike many other vitamin D supplements that are often the inferior D2 form, ergocalciferol, our Liposomal Vitamin D3 is the preferred form – vitamin D3, cholecalciferol.
- Our formula contains phospholipids from sunflower lecithin that create liposomes in your gastrointestinal tract to help the vitamin D3 molecules gain entry across your gut membrane to its target organs and cells.*
- They are packed in tightly sealed Licaps® hard-shelled capsules rather than oxygen-permeable soft gels to help avoid leakage and to maintain freshness.
- Amazon Ratings: 4.8 out of 5 - more than 550 ratings.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
9. d.velop Vitamin D Supplements 2400 IU, 20 mcg – High Potency Vitamin D3
- Calcifediol, the form of vitamin D in d.velop, doesn’t need to be processed by the liver, it can be absorbed right into the bloodstream and throughout your body. That's why calcifediol is 3x more effective for raising vitamin D levels when compared to regular vitamin D on an equal microgram (mcg) basis.
- Price: USD 18 (0.30 / count) | Buy on Amazon
10. Now Foods Vitamin D3 & K2 (120 Veg Caps)
NOW uses Underwriters Laboratory-certified facilities, offers a good price point, and has thousands of 5-star reviews on Amazon. The brand is GMP-certified and uses the UL facility for third-party testing.
About this item:
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #28 in Vitamin D Supplements.
- Amazon's Choice for D3 K2.
- Also has 3 mg of vitamin C per veg capsule
- Supports Bone Health Plus Cardiovascular Support
- Dose Strength - 1,000 IU of D3 and 45 mcg of K2 per veg capsule
- Dose is suitable to be taken as maintenance or long term.
- Capsules might be a bit large (1.9 cm) for some users.
11. One A Day Women’s Multivitamin (Best Vitamin D for Women)
One a day women's multivitamin is a complete multivitamin specially designed for the leading concerns of women like bone health.
- Contains key nutrients like vitamins A, B6, C, D, E, and K, riboflavin, thiamin, zinc and niacin
- Formulated to support: Bone health, immune health, skin health, heart health, and physical energy by helping convert food to fuel.
- Adult women should take one tablet daily with food
- Free of gluten, wheat, dairy, artificial flavors, and artificial sweeteners
- Soy free
- 200 counts
- Ratings: 4.8 out of 5 - more than 13,000 global ratings
You need to take them with a meal, real food. Not a light breakfast or a snack. Maybe other vitamins you can get away with that, but these are packed with almost everything you need and more. It requires more than light food. When I first took them in the morning I was sick to my stomach. I've since taken them in the afternoon with lunch usually. I've never had any issues and these vitamins really do make me feel good/healthy
12. Kirkland Signature Maximum Strength Vitamin D3 2000 I.U.
Best Vitamin D Foods?
- Salmon, cooked, 3 ounces (85 grams) 447 IU / 11 mcg (75% of RDI)
- Tuna, canned in water, 3 ounces (85 grams) 154 IU / 4 mcg (26% of RDI)
- Beef liver, cooked, 3 ounces (85 grams) 42 IU / 1 mcg (7% of RDI)
- 1 large whole egg (D is found in yolk) 41 IU / 1 mcg (7% of RDI)
- 1 sardine, canned in oil, drained 23 IU / 0.6 mcg (4% of RDI)
It’s an excellent source of vitamin D. At about 450 IU per teaspoon (4.9 mL), it clocks in at a massive 56% of the DV. It has been used for many years to treat vitamin D deficiency. It also has a history of being used as part of treating rickets, psoriasis, and tuberculosis (Trusted Source, Trusted Source).
Cod liver oil is also very high in vitamin A, with 150% of the DV in just a single teaspoon (4.9 mL). Vitamin A can be toxic in high amounts. The safe upper limit (UL) for vitamin A is 3,000 mcg. A single teaspoon (4.9 mL) of cod liver oil contains 1,350 mcg of vitamin A.
Make sure that you aren’t exceeding the upper limit with cod liver oil or any other vitamin A supplements (Trusted Source, Trusted Source).
In addition, cod liver oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s may play a role in heart health and may reduce inflammation in the body. Along with fatty fish, cod liver oil is another source of these fatty acids. If you don’t eat fish, it can be hard to get enough omega-3 in your diet (Trusted Source).
Keep in mind that dairy products and cereals are often fortified with vitamin D (Source).
Some rare mushrooms also harbor vitamin D, and egg yolks contain small amounts. The yolk from one large egg contains 37 IU of vitamin D, or 5% of the DV (Trusted Source).
Best Vitamin D Supplement for Absorption
For this reason, it’s recommended to take vitamin D supplements with a meal to enhance absorption.
According to one study in 17 people, taking vitamin D with the largest meal of the day increased vitamin D blood levels by about 50% after just 2–3 months (NIH).
In another study in 50 older adults, consuming vitamin D alongside a fat-heavy meal increased vitamin D blood levels by 32% after 12 hours compared to a fat-free meal (NIH).
Avocados, nuts, seeds, full-fat dairy products and eggs are nutritious sources of fat that help boost your vitamin D absorption.
What Does Vitamin D Do For Men?
Vitamin D also plays an essential role in men’s sexual function and testosterone levels. Healthy levels of vitamin D may also benefit sexual health by mitigating the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Does Vitamin D Help Lose Belly Fat?Yes, Vitamin D can help trigger weight loss primarily in the belly. This is because Vitamin D and Calcium may work synergistically to reduce the production of cortisol, which is a stress hormone that causes you to store belly fat.
Vitamin D for AcneAcne is a common and complex skin disorder that can be stressful for many patients due to its chronicity. Although acne is caused by a number of factors, but chronic inflammation is an important mechanism.
According to a study, vitamin D has an immune regulatory function in sebocytes, implying that vitamin D may have anti-inflammatory properties in acne patients.
Vitamin D for Skin Health
Apart from its role in maintaining bone health, vitamin D also has a role in maintaining skin health.Vitamin D for Dry or Itchy Skin
Severe dryness of the skin or Itchy skin can be an indicator of Vitamin D deficiency. Getting enough Vitamin D can improve symptoms of skin disorders that cause dry, itchy skin.
Vitamin D and Psoriasis
Nutritionists are particularly interested in vitamin D supplementation for these two reasons. First, oral vitamin D supplementation is an important supplementary therapeutic choice for psoriatic patients. Second, vitamin D supplementation may be crucial in preventing psoriasis-related comorbidity, hypertension, and metabolic syndrome.
Vitamin D and Vitiligo
According to one study, high-dose vitamin D therapy may be both safe and beneficial in the treatment of vitiligo. Sixteen vitiligo patients with low vitamin D status were given 35,000 IU per day for six months, along with a dairy and calcium-rich food limitation and minimum hydration of 2.5 L per day. And the outcome, fourteen of them had re-pigmentation ranging from 25 to 75%. It’s still uncertain if high-dose supplementation provides any benefits for long-term patients with vitiligo.
Vitamin D and Atopic Dermatitis
Vitamin D may play a role in improving the symptoms of Atopic Dermatitis. The findings of this study imply that vitamin D supplementation may help reduce the severity of atopic dermatitis and can be considered as safe and manageable treatment option. However, this conclusion still needs larger-scale studies over a longer duration of treatment.
Vitamin D for cancer prevention
Study finds taking higher-than-recommended doses of vitamin D reduce risk of atrial fibrillationFIND (FINnish Vitamin D Trial) is the first randomized controlled trial to observe that vitamin D supplementation reduces the risk of atrial fibrillation in generally healthy men and women. Previous research is limited to only two randomized trials, which did not observe an effect when using doses of 10 micrograms (400 IU) or 50 micrograms (2000 IU) per day. Further confirmation of the present results from the FIND study is therefore needed before doses of vitamin D that significantly exceed current recommendations can be recommended for preventing atrial fibrillation.
Vitamin D Needs Are Underestimated by a Factor of 10
It is imperative that you do whatever it takes to work up to one hour of sun exposure every day. If you don't live in an area where this is possible, I strongly encourage you to use this as an excuse to move. Yes, if you value your health, it is that important. Florida is a great option for many as not only is it the sunshine state but it is the state most committed to resisting tyranny.
If you do choose to supplement with vitamin D, understand it is a far inferior option. You will also need to use the correct dose. Many studies consider a "high dose" — 2,000 International Units (IUs) a day, which is not a high dose at all. In fact, it's completely inadequate for most people. Research has found a sixfold variability in dosage response (R), meaning one person taking 5,000 IUs of vitamin D per day may achieve a level of just 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L) while another is able to reach a level of 120 ng/mL (300 nmol/L) taking the same amount.
This is why it's so important to get your vitamin D level tested at regular intervals. You simply cannot go by dosage. In reality, you should take whatever dosage required to get the vitamin D level in your blood into a healthy range.
According to a study in Anticancer Research (R), it would require 9,600 IUs of vitamin D per day to get a majority (97.5%) of the population to reach 40 ng/mL (100 nmol/L), which research suggests is the very low end of sufficiency (R). That's a far cry from the 600 IUs recommended by the Institute of Medicine (IOM).
One reason why the public has been misled on the issue of dosage stems from a simple mathematical error that has never been corrected. As pointed out in a 2014 paper, the IOM actually underestimates the need by a factor of 10 due to a simple mathematical error. If this error in calculation were to be corrected, the official IOM recommendation would actually be 6,000 IUs a day, not 600 IUs.
You can use this simple tool from GrassrootsHealth to calculate the estimated additional vitamin D intake needed to reach your targeted vitamin D serum level.
According to data published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, 75% of American adults and teens are deficient in vitamin D, based on a sufficiency level of 30 ng/mL. If the sufficiency cutoff were to be moved to 40 or 60 ng/mL, deficiency rates in the U.S. would likely be in the high 90% bracket.
Even with a sufficiency level of 30 ng/mL, 97% of African-Americans and 90% of Mexican-Americans are deficient in this crucial nutrient, which places them at increased risk of chronic disease.
How Much Vitamin D Can You Make and When?Our skin pigmentations are linked to ancestral latitudinal proximities that optimized our ancestors' skin for sun exposure. The further from the equator our ancestors lived, the lighter their skin, allowing them to biologically maximize the limited availability of the sun, and UV light specifically.
Remember: Your body produces vitamin D through exposure to UVB light. For those living in northern latitudes, this may only be an option for a few short months each year. As a general rule, you have to live below 22 degrees' latitude if you want to produce any vitamin D at all during the winter.
Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin K2When supplementing, also remember to take synergistic effects with other nutrients into account. If you take high-dose vitamin D, you may also need to increase your intake of:
- Vitamin K2
- Excessive vitamin D in combination with lack of vitamin K2 may cause over-absorption of calcium, which in turn may result in calcium deposits in your heart and kidneys. Part of the explanation for these adverse side effects is that vitamin K2 keeps calcium in its appropriate place — in your teeth and bones and out of soft tissues and arteries.
- While the optimal ratios between vitamin D and vitamin K2 have yet to be established, taking somewhere between 100 to 200 micrograms (mcg) of K2 is beneficial. Telltale signs of vitamin K2 insufficiency include osteoporosis, heart disease and diabetes. You’re also more likely to be deficient if you rarely eat vitamin K2-rich foods.
- Vascular calcification is also a side effect of low magnesium, so when taking vitamin D3, you need both vitamin K2 and magnesium to make sure everything is working properly.
- Maintaining an appropriate calcium-to-magnesium ratio is also important, as magnesium helps keep calcium in your cells so they can function better. Based on your personal health needs an ideal ratio of calcium-to-magnesium may vary from 1-to-1 to an optimal 1-to-2. (R)
- Magnesium and vitamin K2 also complement each other, as magnesium helps lower blood pressure, which is an important component of heart disease.