Best Toddler Vitamin and Mineral Supplements 2022
Children need vitamins and minerals as they grow and develop to ensure that their health stays optimal. Most children who have a balanced diet do not need supplements. However some parents may opt to supplement their child's diet if under special circumstances or if their child has dietary complications.
Can 2 Year Olds Have Vitamins?
Multivitamins aren't necessary for most healthy children, especially those under 2, who are growing normally. This is because most children who have a healthy diet gets most of their nutritional needs met from the food they eat.
However, a multivitamin might be helpful for children with..
- Dietary issues such as being a very picky eater or having very poor appetite.
- Children on a vegan diet
- Premature or low birth weight babies
- Medical conditions such as chronic infections or intestinal diseases
However, always consult a pediatrician before giving supplements to your children.
Is It Safe For Toddlers to Take Vitamins?
A vitamin overdose can be dangerous and sometimes even fatal. Certain vitamins, including fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, can be toxic in high amounts. Furthermore, children’s vitamins are often flavored to make them seem like candy. Therefore, a child may easily overdose by eating too many vitamins a day if the supplement is not kept out of your child's reach.
Safety Tips for Supplements
- Always consult a pediatrician before giving supplements to children
- Try not to battle over foods with your kids or use desserts as a bribe to "clean your plate." Instead, give your child a chewable vitamin after the meal. Fat-soluble vitamins can only be absorbed with food.
- If your child is taking any medication, be sure to ask your child's doctor about any drug interactions with certain vitamins or minerals. Then the supplement won't boost or lower the medication dose.
- Try a chewable vitamin if your child won't take a pill or liquid supplement, but be careful of choking hazards.
- Consider waiting until a child reaches age 4 to start giving a multivitamin supplement, unless your child's doctor suggests otherwise.
- Immediately see a pediatrician if your child experiences difficulty breathing, facial swelling or persistent diarrhea, which can be signs of a severe allergic reaction to vitamins.
Best Toddler Vitamin and Mineral Supplements 2021
a. How Can I Increase My Toddler's Iron Level?
- Feeding your toddler blended foods that are rich in iron including outmeal, beans, prunes, fish, chicken, beef or dark leafy greens.
b. What Are The Signs of Iron Deficiency in Toddlers?- Fast Heartbeat
- Sore or swollen tongue
- Pale skin
- Enlarged spleen
- Irritability and fussiness
- Lack of energy and tiring easily
- Strange cravings like eating dirt or ice
Always check with your pediatrician if you suspect that your toddler is iron deficient.
Iron Supplement for Toddler - Nature's Nutra Easy Iron
Toddler Multivitamin with Iron Liquid - NovaFerrum Multivitamin with Iron for Infants and Toddlers
2. Omega 3
Is Omega-3 Good For Toddlers?
Omega-3 fatty acids are especially beneficial for the brain health of toddlers. They also reduce symptoms of ADHD and asthma. They may also aid sleep quality.
What are the Symptoms of Lack of Omega-3?- Fatigue
- Dry Skin
- Heart Problems
- Mood swings
- Poor Memory
- Poor Circulation
Omega 3 Supplement for Toddler - Nordic Naturals Baby's DHA
Toddler Multivitamin with Omega 3 - SmartyPants Baby Multi & DHA Liquid Multivitamin
Probiotic Supplement for Toddler - UpSpring Probiotic + Colostrum Powder
Calcium Supplement for Toddler - ChildLife Essentials Multivitamin
Zinc Supplement for Toddler - Nature's Nutra Happy Zinc
Is Fiber Safe for Toddlers?Fiber may not be safe for babies before 6 months old as they do not need fiber.
Babies between 6 to 12 months old can take about 5 grams of fiber a day.
Toddlers between 1 to 3 years old need about 19 grams of fiber a day.
Best Fiber Supplement for Toddler Constipation - Wellements Organic Baby Constipation Support
DHA Supplement for Toddler - Nordic Naturals Baby's DHA
8. Vitamin D
Vitamin D Supplement for Toddler - D-Drops Liquid Vitamin D Drops
1. How Do I Get My Fussy Toddler To Eat?- Have mealtimes together as a family and avoid distractions like TV or video games.
- Try to introduce a larger variety of healthy fruits, vegetables and proteins to keep them interested.
- Present the food in a colorful and creative way.
- Do not pressure the child to finish their food, let them decide when they have had enough.
- Involve the child in meal planning, let them help decide what to eat during the next meals.
- Try pairing foods they like with foods they dislike (like broccoli with melted cheese)
4. How Can I Boost My Toddlers Immune System?- A well balanced diet with protein, zinc, iron, folates along with Vitamins A, B6, and E. This can be obtained through foods such as lean meats, fish, fruits and vegetables, whole grains and eggs.
- Give them yogurt to promote the growth of live cultures in their gut, thus improving their digestive system.
- Avoid feeding your toddler too much sugary and processed foods.
- Keep your child active by letting them run and jump and play to keep their blood circulation healthy.
- Keep up with vaccinations and annual flu shots
- Promote hygienic habits such as hand washing and discourage unhygienic habits such as putting foreign objects or dirty fingers in their mouths.
- Ensure your child gets enough sleep by encouraging napping.