Best Lutein and Zeaxanthin Supplements Review 2024
The eye is a vital sensory organ that requires special attention to maintain a healthy and productive lifestyle. Numerous studies have shown that lutein and zeaxanthin; the two major carotenoids in the human macula and retina, are important components for eye health.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin Benefits
The importance of lutein and zeaxanthin in human health, particularly eye health, is well established by epidemiological, clinical, and interventional studies.
They constitute the main pigments found in the yellow spot of the human retina which protect the macula from damage by blue light, improve visual acuity and scavenge harmful reactive oxygen species. They have also been linked with reduced risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and cataracts. (Source)
In addition to eye health, one study (RCT 2018) also found that lutein and zeaxanthin supplementation appears to benefit neurocognitive function in older adults by enhancing cerebral perfusion, even if consumed for a discrete period of time in late life.
Accordingly, cognitively healthy subjects aged over 65 years, on a diet supplemented for 2 years with a combination of fish oil, vitamin E, and macular pigments (lutein and zeaxanthin), showed improved cognitive ability, measured by working memory test performance, and increased levels of tissue carotenoids, as well as systemic xanthophylls and omega-3 fatty acid concentrations (Power 2022).
The Cognitive impAiRmEnt Study (CARES), was designed to examine the potential synergistic effects of a combination of omega-3 fatty acids (namely DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA]), xanthophyll carotenoids (specifically lutein, zeaxanthin and meso-zeaxanthin) and vitamin E (d-α-tocopherol) on the cognitive performance of cognitively healthy older adults.
In conclusion, the CARES research has shown improvements in working memory following 24-month supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids, xanthophyll carotenoids (lutein and zeaxanthin) and vitamin E in cognitively healthy older adults. These results support a biologically plausible rationale whereby these nutrients work synergistically, and in a dose-dependent manner, to improve cognitive performance. These findings illustrate the importance of nutritional enrichment in improving cognition and enabling older adults to continue to function independently, and highlight how a combination of omega-3 fatty acids and xanthophyll carotenoids may prove beneficial in reducing cognitive decline and/or delaying Alzheimer's disease onset in later life.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin Supplements
Lutein and zeaxanthin are available as dietary supplements. These supplements are especially popular among elderly people who are concerned about their eye health.
How Much Lutein and Zeaxanthin Should I Take?
It has been suggested that consuming 6 mg of lutein per day, either through food or supplementation, is likely useful in lowering the incidence of cataracts and Age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Although the optimal dose of lutein supplementation has not yet been determined, the most frequent dose in commercial products is 10 mg/day.
One study examining the effect of lutein/zeaxanthin supplementation on progression to late AMD found that 10 mg of lutein and 2 mg of zeaxanthin caused a significant reduction in the progression to AMD.
1. AREDS 2 Eye Vitamin & Mineral Supplement
#1 Amazon Best in Lutein Nutritional Supplements
Ratings: 4.7 out of 5 - more than 45,000 global ratings
About this item:
- PRESERVISION AREDS 2 S: This formula uses Lutein and Zeaxanthin, zinc, copper, Vitamin C and Vitamin E to exactly match the nutrient formula recommended by the AMD experts at the National Eye Institute based on the Age Related Eye Disease Study 2.
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- AREDS 2 SUPPLEMENT: PreserVision is the doctor recommended based on 20 years of clinical studies to help reduce the risk of progression of moderate to advanced Age-related , and uses Lutein and Zeaxanthin.
- S FOR HEALTHY EYES: Bausch and Lomb carries a full line of ocular supplements with vitamins, minerals and nutrients that promote eye health, including Ocuvite s for general eye health and PreserVision for age-related eye health concerns.
- BAUSCH and LOMB EYE CARE EXPERTS: In 1853, John Jacob Bausch opened an optical goods store in Rochester, New York. Since then, Bausch and Lomb has continued to focus on innovation and quality in eye care products, from contact lenses to lubricant eye drops.
- BAUSCH and LOMB EYE SUPPLEMENTS: Eye health is more than good vision and at Bausch and Lomb, we're focused on all aspects of healthy eyes. Try our eye health vitamins and supplements if you've used other supplements based on the AREDS or AREDS2 study.
- During the summer months products may arrive warm but Amazon stores and ships products in accordance with manufacturers' recommendations, when provided.
2. Pure Encapsulations Lutein 10mg Zeaxanthin 2mg
BUY ON AMAZON
- Macular Support
Lutein/Zeaxanthin is a unique blend of carotenoids that support the macula and overall visual function.*
- Antioxidant Properties
Lutein/Zeaxanthin help support the integrity and density of the macular pigment through antioxidant properties.*
- Macular Protection
In addition, they help form a protective layer that filters light, maintaining healthy photoreceptor function in the macula.*
- Pure Quality
Our supplements are made with only premium ingredients sourced from trusted suppliers and guided by our nutritional experts, then carefully manufactured and tested to verify their potency and purity.
- Pure Difference
What makes us different isn't just our process or what goes into our supplements -- what we leave out matters, too. Pure Encapsulations products are free from wheat, eggs, tree nuts & peanuts, gluten, artificial colors, flavors & sweeteners, coatings and shellacs, GMOs, and unnecessary binders, fillers & preservatives.
Pure Encapsulations Lutein and Zeaxanthin Supplement Reviews
If you knew how much this product has helped my eye health, you would call it a miracle. i'm so happy I found this brand. It doesn't contain unnecessary fillers and comes in an easy to swallow capsule. I strongly recommend taking a lutein/zeaxanthin supplement.l to keep your eyes healthy and vision sharp. Make sure to buy the easily and readily absorbed Floraglo lutein and Optisharp zeaxanthin. The absorption of lutein from lutein esters is only absorbable when taken with a lot of fat. You also should consider taking bilberry.
3. Puritans Pride Lutein 10mg with Zeaxanthin 4mg
Puritan's Pride Premium supplements are produced from the finest raw materials under our stringent quality control standards . Our state - of - the - art manufacturing and packaging facilities insure you the highest quality nutritional supplements money can buy.
Lutein 10mg, Zeaxanthin 4mg
Corn oil, glatin, vegetable glycerin, safflower oil, yellow beeswax, natural caramel color
No artificial flavor or sweetener, no preservatives, no sugar, no starch, no milk, no lactose, no soy, no gluten, no wheat, no yeast, no fish, sodium free.
Ratings: 4.6 out of 5 - more than 850 global ratings
This supplement was “highly” recommended by my Ophthalmologist. Have a family history of macular degeneration and this is the new eye supplement that may help as a preventative. I have them shipped monthly. So far my eyes exams have been healthy!
4. Sports Research Vegan Lutein 20mg + Zeaxanthin 4mg
Made with 20mg of Lute-Gen lutein and 4mg of zeaxanthin extracted from marigold flowers. Moreover, it is formulated with organic virgin coconut oil to help aid lutein + zeaxanthin absorption. Daily supplementation of lutein carotenoids may have protective effects for the eyes such as filtering high-energy blue light.
- non-gmo verified
- vegan certified, 100% plant based lutein + zeaxantin.
- free of animal ingredients such as bovine gelatin.
Ratings: 4.6 out of 5 - more than 1,150 global ratings
I like that this product has exactly double the amount of vegetable pigments that are recommended for slowing of progression of age-related macular degeneration by the landmark AREDS 2 study. As an optometrist, I recommend this to my patients for every other day, not just to slow progression, but to help with PREVENTION of macular degeneration. There is also lots of evidence that lutein and zeaxanthin are good for brain. If you don't eat large amounts of kale, collards, and spinach, then you are not consuming the recommended amount.
5. Nutricost Zeaxanthin 4mg with Lutein 20mg
- 120 zeaxanthin with lutein softgels per bottle
- 20mg of lutein per capsule (120 servings), 4mg of zeaxanthin per capsule
- 3rd party tested by independent, ISO-Accredited laboratories
- non-GMO, gluten free, and made in a GMP compliant, FDA registered facility
Ratings: 4.6 out of 5 - more than 800 global ratings
Zeaxanthin can help protect your eyes from harmful high-energy light waves like ultraviolet rays in sunlight. Studies suggest that a high level in eye tissue is linked with better vision, especially in dim light or where glare is a problem. I live in a sunny environment and deal with over exposure daily. An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
6. Now Foods, Lutein 25mg Zeaxanthin 5mg
BUY ON AMAZON
- blue light protection*
- macular care*
- lutein and zeaxanthin are free radical scavenging carotenoid pigments often found together in vegetables.*
- in the body, they are deposited in the macula, a specialized area of the eye that is responsible for central vision.*
- acting as primary filters of highenergy blue light, lutein and zeaxanthin help to promote normal visual health by protecting the eye against oxidative stress.*
- this product is formulated to support normal recovery from bright light exposure and the maintenance of healthy contrast sensitivity.*
*statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition.
Ratings: 4.6 out of 5 - more than 550 global ratings
My husband's acupuncturist recommended it several years ago, as he was diagnosed with age related macular degeneration. It has much more Lutein than his former over the counter medication. After several years of use, his vision has not worsened. Highly recommend
7. Carlyle Lutein 40 mg and Zeaxanthin 2mg
BUY ON AMAZON
Powerful antioxidant, featuring carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin from marigold extract
- Flower Extract
Provides 40 mg of lutein and 2 mg of zeaxanthin in each quick-release capsule
- Rooted in Wellness
Carlyle provides premium, honest supplements in your pursuit to healthy living
- Carlyle Manufacturers
Laboratory tested, trusted ingredients, superior quality, 100% guaranteed!
Free of gluten, wheat, yeast, milk, artificial flavor, preservatives & non-gmo
Ratings: 4.7 out of 5 - more than 5,250 global ratings
Ophthalmologist encouraged adding lutein with zeaxanthin to my regimen. Have used this 40 mg for a few years and still wearing prescription glasses of a few years ago with no change in vision. I'll keep trusting it.
8. Members Mark Lutein 25mg & Zeaxanthin 5mg
BUY ON AMAZON
Lutein and Zeaxanthin are natural pigments, also known as “carotenoids,” fat-soluble antioxidants found in fruits, vegetables and plants—including marigolds and sunflowers. Antioxidants protect the body from cellular and tissue damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals, which cause a “biological rusting” (oxidation) and may enhance the negative effects of aging.
I've been taking these for macular problems in my right eye. They have helped stabilize it and keep it from getting worse.
a. Best Food Sources of Lutein and Zeaxanthin?Lutein and Zeaxanthin Content in Common Raw Foods (per 100-gram or 3.5-ounces):
- Spinach: 12.2 milligrams
- Sweet potato leaves: 14.72 milligrams
- Turnip greens: 12.83 milligrams
- Cress: 12.50 milligrams
- Chicory: 10.30 milligrams
- Kale: 6.26 milligrams
- Peas: 2.48 milligrams
- Lettuce: 2.31 milligrams
- Squash: 2.13 milligrams
- Egg yolk: 1.09 milligrams
b. Lutein and Zeaxanthin Side Effects
Generally, lutein and zeaxanthin supplement is considered safe and appear to be very few side effects.
Over a five-year period, a large-scale ocular study discovered no negative effects of lutein and zeaxanthin supplements. The only side effect observed was minor skin yellowing, which was not considered harmful. (Trusted Source).
Though there have been few reports of lutein and zeaxanthin supplement side effects, additional research is needed to assess the potential adverse effects of very high consumption.
c. Importance of Leutin and Zeaxanthin For the Eyes