Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) is a coenzyme found in all living cells. Most cells in your body use NAD as a coenzyme in the production of energy from glucose. NAD exists in two forms: an oxidized form and a reduced form, which are NAD+ and NADH (H for hydrogen).
Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Market size is anticipated to exceed USD 1.4 billion by 2030, as per research report
announced by Global Market Insights Inc. NAD market size was recorded at over USD 488 million in 2021. Driven by changing lifestyle choices, the industry is expected to grow at around 13% CAGR (compound annual growth rate) from 2022 to 2030.
Anti-aging and longevity researcher David Sinclair brought nicotinamide adenine
dinucleotide (NAD) into the limelight. Here’s what you might not know though:
scientists discovered NAD in the early 20th century. Why is it making a
It’s the energetic currency keeping your body functioning
at its peak. NAD deficiency dramatically speeds up how fast you age.
Recent years have seen a surge of interest in supplements designed to boost levels of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD). Research suggests NAD+ can help your body to repair DNA, boost immune systems and slow the aging process, but people also take supplements for short term gains such as increased energy levels.
When choosing between the various options available, much will depend on your current health condition and what you’re hoping to get from it. To help you out, we’ve had a look at what’s going on the market to offer a varying selection in the hope that one of them will hit the sweet spot for you.
NMN stands for nicotinamide mononucleotide, a molecule naturally occurring in all life forms. NMN is the direct precursor of the essential molecule nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) and is considered a key component to increase NAD+ levels in cells.
What is NAD+ and What is its Function?
Over 500 different enzymes rely on NAD and without it, you'd die in
Nicotinamide riboside is a form of vitamin B3 (also called niacin or nicotinic
acid). Unlike the other forms, research shows that NR increases levels of
NAD+, a key central metabolism regulator. Core functions of NAD include:
- Converting food to energy
- Repairing DNA
- Creating androgen hormones
- Building muscles
Activating a group of seven essential longevity proteins called sirtuins
Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) is a coenzyme found in all living
cells. It exists in two forms: an oxidized form and a reduced form, which
are NAD+ and NADH (H for hydrogen).
It is central to energy metabolism and maintaining proper cell function. It
plays a crucial role for our mitochondria function, which turn food and
oxygen into energy for our body to use. NAD+ also supports the function of
sirtuins. Sirtuins are proteins that help protect cells from age-related
decline, regulate biological pathways and turn certain genes on and off.
However, NAD+ levels decline with age which drive the aging process.
If you have suboptimal NAD levels, you’ll age faster and have difficultly
performing at your peak.
Most NAD Supplements Are Fake or Dangerous?
Third-party reports across brands and ingredients have found outright fraud:
some products contain absolutely zero of the stated ingredient but rather
another unrelated compound instead.
Since it’s new, supplement
manufacturers and commercial sources have only begun appearing in the last few
years. Suppliers cannot match the demand spike. The market and online stores
have become littered with fake (and expensive) NAD boosters.
Best NAD Supplements 2023
After our review and research process, here is a recommended list of the
best 10 NAD+ supplements league for you to compare in 2023:
- Tru Niagen NAD Supplement
- Nutricost Niacinamide
- Double Wood NMN Supplement
- ProHealth Longevity NMN Pro 500
- Toniiq NMN Powder
- Thorne Research ResveraCel
- aSquared Nutrition Nicotinamide with Resveratrol
- Peak Performance NMN supplement + Resveratrol
- Codeage Liposomal NMN + Resveratrol + Quercetin Supplement
- Tru Niagen Immune Support Supplement
Although there are many NAD+ supplement customer reviews on many online
sites, we have curated some of the helpful ones below.
1. TRU Niagen NAD+ Booster Supplement
This is one of the most popular supplements on the market. It contains nicotinamide riboside (NR) which is thought to be one of the fastest and most efficient NAD+ precursors available. It comes FDA approved with doses of 300mg of NR and makes all the usual claims associated with NAD+ of promoting cellular repair, accelerating metabolism and cellular energy production in order to improve your overall health and well-being. Taken over a period of time, therefore, it should have a positive impact on your health and may protect you against the onset of long-term disease. What makes it so popular, if online reviews are anything to go by, is that it can have a more immediate effect by boosting your energy levels.
TRU Niagen NAD+ Supplements come in 3 sizes:
: 4.5 out of 5 - more than 4,000 global ratings
- ChromaDex markets TruNiagen, which is based on its branded Niagen
ingredient, which is a form of nicotinamide riboside (NR), the form of
nicotinamide that actively crosses into the cell to participate in the
- Reduces the cellular effects of aging by elevating NAD+, a key
coenzyme your body uses for healthy cellular metabolism.
- Nicotinamide Riboside for Energy, Metabolism, Vitality, Muscle
Health, Healthy Aging, Cellular Repair
- Unlike NMN, our key ingredient Niagen was successfully notified
two times as an NDI (New Dietary Ingredient) and reviewed as GRAS
(Generally Recognized As Safe) under the United States
Tru Niagen takes repair down to the foundation of our health,
your cells. Every day, our cells are exposed to environmental
toxins, hazardous compounds, and pathogens. These environmental
factors and pathogens attempt to attack our DNA. Tru Niagen
helps counteract this damage by activating tiny repair enzymes
Fight Daily Stressors
Things like poor diet, alcohol consumption, lack of sleep,
sun-exposure, and lack of exercise can be taxing on the body.
These stressors affect us on the cellular level, putting our
cells into overdrive in order to repair the damage. Tru Niagen
helps combat these metabolic stressors.
Tru Niagen helps fuel your workout and helps you recover after.
It gives you fuel by supercharging your cells—focusing on
continuous energy, not jolts of energy. After your workout is
over, Tru Niagen helps you recover from intense exercise by
boosting NAD+, a key coenzyme needed for cellular repair.
Tru Niagen promotes natural energy production deep in your
cells. There are no stimulants like caffeine added. Tru Niagen
helps provide every day sustaining energy through your body's
natural energy-generating mechanisms.
"While this is not a scientific review I have been taking Niagen
in one form or another non stop for several years. I have been
gradually increasing my doses with what I can only describe as a
profound effect. Without a doubt I feel younger than 46. I also
think I look younger than most people my age. I certainly don't
feel my age and have a ton of energy every single day. I also try
to eat plenty of vegetables with lots of non meat proteins along
with limited meat consumption. I am not a health nut but basically
try to stay away excess sugars and processed foods whenever I can.
I also do a hard bike ride once or twice a week. I think this also
helps the entire aging process some." - Amazon
Over 75% of
registered ongoing or completed
nicotinamide riboside trials use Niagen®. Here are five of their studies, just to name a few.
- A clinical trial published in
Scientific Reports in 2019 (Read More)
- A study published Nature Communications in 2018 (Read More)
- A study published in Cell Reports in 2019 (Read More)
- A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
in 2018 (Read More)
- A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
in 2020 (Read More)
: 4.6 out of 5 - more than 13,000 reviews
Amazon Best Sellers: #2 in Vitamin B3 (Niacin) Supplements
Niacinamide is a popular form of Vitamin B3, but without the often
uncomfortable feeling known as "Niacin Flush". Vitamin B3 is most often
found in meats like tuna and beef. However, in order to get a similar
amount of Vitamin B3, you would have to eat large amounts of tuna and
beef or other sources containing Vitamin B3.
- 240 Capsules of Niacinamide Per bottle / 1 Capsule per serving
- 500mg of Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) Per Capsule
- No "Niacin Flush"
- Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Soy Free, and Made in a GMP Compliant, FDA
After a recent news article about this being a favorite supplement in Australia for sun damage protection, I asked my dermatologist about it. She said it might help prevent me getting as many 'barnacles' as she calls them. You know, those nasty, old-age, sun-damage, crunchy brown or white patches all over your body. (I have many). I'm still on my first bottle but after about two weeks the most amazing thing happened. I happened to scratch an area near one of my barnacles and it just flaked off in my hand. Since then, many more have succumbed. Not all; just some. But I'm happy. Even one less of those ugly bumps is an improvement.
Niacinamide ReviewDr. Conlon has concluded, and Dr Mercola thoroughly agree with her, that the best single NAD+ precursor is niacinamide (also known as nicotinamide), not niacin, NR or NMN. It is now beyond obvious to me why no one is promoting niacinamide. This is because it costs less than one cent a day and as a result there is simply no money to be made in promoting it. Ideally you buy niacinamide powder and use 1 to 1/2 of 1/64th of a teaspoon three times a day (25-50 mg). - Mercola.com.
3. Double Wood NMN Supplement
- Most generic NMN supplements degrade in less than two months and need to be kept refrigerated due to its short shelf life. Double Wood NMN is fully stabilized and do not need refrigeration. Their process of stabilization ensures that the NMN does not deactivate before it reaches your cells.
- Made in the USA
: I've been using resveratrol (Jeuness) for 3.5 years, resveratrol was discovered by Dr David Sinclair (Harvard Medical School) discovered in 1992. No longer get cold. However, I'm still get tired due to aging, I believe. And getting worse lately when I've been working hard. So I started looking and noticed Dr Sinclair's book titled Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To. From which I learned NMN. Then I ordered 1 bottle of NMN (Underwood). I take 4 capsules per day. Label says you can take 2-8 pills. The first week I felt less tired, but wasn't so sure it is due to NMN or something else. The second week, I started running instead of walking, so even I'm shocked! I haven't felt so hungry and energetic for the past decade! So it has to be NMN that worked!!
While I continue using resveratrol at the same time, I feel NMN makes you feel much more energetic. Can't comment longevity yet, but possible, even with NMN.
: 4.6 out of 5 - more than 1,500 global ratings
Question: Nmn needs to be refrigerated and kept out of the light. true? typically how old is the product at shippment? thanks
Answer: NMN only needs to be refrigerated when mixed into a solution. I assume you heard Dr. Sinclair mention this and he was referring to his NMN / Walter solution he would give to mice. He was not talking about stabilized NMN powder. We have performed third party tests on this product 6-12 months after production showing it is stabilized and there is no break down in the molecule.
4. ProHealth Longevity NMN Pro 500
About this item:
- ProHealth Uthever NMN is CLINICALLY PROVEN
TO BOOST NAD+ LEVELS IN HUMANS. In a peer reviewed, double blind placebo controlled clinical study
NAD+ decline was reversed by an average of 12 years. That's 38% more NAD+ in 60 days. Higher NAD+ levels are associated with more energy, feeling younger, less genetic damage, heart health, and SIRTUIN activation- longevity genes that are key for living better longer. Also, study participants’ quality-of-life test scores improved by 6.5%.
- ProHealth is the most trusted longevity supplement brand on the market, celebrating 34 YEARS with a BBB A+ RATING. Other brands may be cheaper, but do you trust that they actual contain any NMN
- PUREST, HIGHEST QUALITY, PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE NMN IN THE WORLD. Every batch is 3rd party tested in a US lab to be at least 99.5% pure, and independent lab tests prove that our NMN products contain at least the number of grams of NMN per serving listed on the label. All 3rd party lab Certificates of Analysis are publicly posted. Our NMN is always manufactured in a FDA registered, GMP certified facility in the USA.
- ProHealth Uthever NMN is proven safe for human consumption in a clinical study. And our unique NMN capsules dissolve after passing unharmed through the stomach so the potency is preserved when it is delivered to the section of the intestine with the highest absorption rates- maximizing bioavailability.
- SHELF STABLE FOR TWO YEARS, and at OVER 200 DEGREES. Lab tests prove that ProHealth's Uthever NMN can be safely stored at ambient room temperature for up to two years with no loss in quality or potency. No refrigeration required.
Amazon Reviews: 4.5 out of 5 - more than 250 global ratings
|UTHEVER's CO-BRANDING PARTNERS|
5. Toniiq NMN Powder
- Boost NAD+ Levels - Nicotinamide Mononucleotide Powder Supplement
- Highly Purified Form of NMN Powder
- Our NMN powder contains an unprecedented purity level of 99+% (other NMN supplements and NAD supplement products won't disclose their purity levels).
- Fully Stabilized - NMN typically needs to be kept cold (fridge or freezer) because of its short shelf life. Our NMN formula comes in a completely shelf-stable non-refrigerated form and is packaged and sold in black sealed bottles that block light, moisture, and oxygen to ensure maintained and maximum potency.
- Toniiq products are produced in a GMP-certified and NSF-approved state-of-the-art manufacturing facility right here in the USA.
- We test each batch both ourselves and through a third-party independent laboratory to ensure our ingredients contain the correct standardized level of purity and active ingredients. We also test each batch for any possible additives, contaminants, and impurities to ensure the highest level of quality.
- I have been using Toniiq NMN along with Resveratrol for about 7 and a half months now. I started taking these for longevity purposes after reading about them in Lifespan. Unexpectedly, I started to see my male pattern baldness reversing about 4 months in; I was not expecting this. Based on the regrowth process speed, it appears I'll reverse 8 years of hair loss in less than a year! My barber is totally floored that hair follicles can come back to life. I can only assume the cells in the rest of my body are rejuvenating as well.
I had been taking the NMN in pill form, but the powder seems to be a much better value. It has a slight tart flavor which I actually enjoy. I've only been using this new form for a short time, but I expect to continue to see the same results.
: 4.6 out of 5 - more than 300 global ratings
6. Thorne Research ResveraCel (Nicotinamide Riboside with Resveratrol and Quercetin Phytosome)
- Each capsule contains Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) ingredient, in addition to Resveratrol, Quercetin Phytosome, and Betaine.
- The ingredients in this product are complexed with Time-Sorb, a time-release matrix.
- Supports healthy aging and helps regulate metabolism
- Resveratrol and quercetin increase the activity of sirtuins
- Betaine provides important methylation factors
- Flavors, colors, preservatives, and sweeteners derived from natural sources.
- No gluten, Genetically Modified Organisms (known as GMOs), artificial preservatives, stearates, wheat, rye, barley, eggs, or nuts. This product does not contain dairy, soy, corn, yeast, sugar, or magnesium stearate.
- No unnecessary binders, coatings, disintegrants, fillers, or lubricants (including magnesium stearate) that could impair absorption.
- Adheres to the FDA’s current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs) and has the highest number of NSF Certified for Sport products which tests for more than 200 banned substances for elite athletic competitions.
- My husband and I are in our 60s and have been taking these capsules for a few weeks. We both started with 2 capsules daily and experienced an increase in energy and in focus. We also both had trouble remaining asleep at night and had strange dreams. We have decreased our consumption of the capsules to one per day and have had a resolution to the sleep problems. We both continue to enjoy an increase in energy and in focus. We have reordered this Thorne product and are very satisfied with the results. It would be best to start with one capsule per day and work up from there until you find your own correct dosage.
7. aSquared Nutrition Nicotinamide with Resveratrol
aSquared Nutrition's maximum strength Nicotinamide supplement is enhanced with Resveratrol to promote cellular health & repair, normal NAD levels, longevity and anti-aging. Our unique formula helps your cells metabolize & synthesize nutrients more effectively to boost energy.
: 4.5 out of 5 - more than 1,800 reviews
- 120 capsules per bottle
- 500mg of Nicotinamide per Capsule / 100mg of Resveratrol powder per Capsule
- Contains 500mg of Non-Flush vitamin B3 per vegetable capsule, and is enhanced with 100mg of Resveratrol powder (7% potency yield) to promote cellular health & repair, normal NAD levels, longevity and anti-aging.
- Made in USA
- All Natural, Non-GMO, and Vegetarian
- Third Party Tested for Quality & Purity
- Supplement Pills to Support NAD, Anti Aging Skin Cell Health & Energy
- Complex contains powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to combat poor aging.
- Resveratrol is not suitable for people undergoing blood-thinning medication
Nicotinamide + Resveratrol Formula Benefits
- Promotes Cellular Health & Repair
- Supports DNA Health & Wellness
- Supports Longevity & Anti-Aging
- Helps Boost Energy Levels
- Supports Upregulation of Sirtuin Pathway
- Supports Normal NAD / NAD+ Levels
- Powerful Antioxidant Properties
- Helps Boost Skin & Immune Health
- Contains Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- Helps Brain Health & Cognition
- This product is probably about as close as you can get to the niagen supplements, like Thorne ResveraCel, without actually containing niagen or using the patented process. Nicotinamide is a form of niacin easily processed by the body. And it contains bonus resveratrol. I've only been taking these two weeks, but I've found these supplements give me some mental boost/clarity and physical energy. My skin seems more elastic. I have less appetite (my usual tendency is to over eat) and sleep better. I've lost a couple of pounds. One side effect I get is upset stomach, but the seller/manufacturer claims this will go away with time. Overall, while these supplements are no "miracle cure," I think they are providing some benefit, and I will continue to take them. I'll reevaluate once I've made it through the first bottle.
TWO MONTH UPDATE: I still feel that I am benefiting from this product. Stomach upset has diminished. I have less joint pain. I have more energy and mental clarity. Better sleep. Skin feels younger. No additional weight loss.
8. Peak Performance NMN supplement + Resveratrol
About this item
- Not all NMN supplements are created equal! Many supplements come with just NMN, which by itself is less effective to produce higher levels of NAD which the body needs to prevent cellular degeneration as we age. Peak Performance combines NMN with Resveratrol. Resveratrol works synergistically with NMN as it acts as an accelerator to produce better results in DNA repair.
- Anti Aging = NMN + Resveratrol! Our cells use NAD+ to produce energy and to activate proteins that repair damaged DNA. Scientists believe that the decline of NAD+ as we age results in many health-related problems. To sustain healthy levels of NAD+ we can supplement this with its precursor, nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN) . When combined with Resveratrol this supplement becomes even more powerful. Great for cellular + DNA repair, muscle endurance and strength, vascular health and blood flow.
- What's in your supplement? - Many supplements on the market use standard formulas that may contain cheap fillers and sometimes questionable ingredients. All of our ingredients are carefully chosen and 3rd party tested for purity.
- Vegan & Allergy Free - Free Of Soy, Milk, Egg, Shellfish, Corn, Wheat & Peanuts. Contains NO Gluten or Preservatives. Manufactured Under The Highest Quality GMP Regulations and USA Standards.
9. Codeage Liposomal NMN + Resveratrol + Quercetin Supplement
About this item
- Liposomal Phospholipid Complex: Phospholipids sourced from non-GMO sunflower oil and containing phosphatidylcholine also feature protective liposomes, which are offered through a liposomal delivery matrix.
- NMN Stabilized Form + Resveratrol: Codeage NMN nicotinamide mononucleotide performance supplement comes in powder-filled capsules for both women and men. This nicotinamide mononucleotide stable blend has been paired with trans-resveratrol, a polyphenol extracted from the root of Japanese knotweed, also know as Polygonum cuspidatum.
- NAD Supplement Precursor & Betaine: This NAD precursor athletic fitness formulation delivers 85 mg of betaine anhydrous in each serving. Also called trimethyglycine (TMG), betaine usually consists of an amino acid derived from plants and sugar beets. NAD has been researched for its role on stem cells, telomere, and cellular energy.
- Riboflavin & Vitamin B12 with Quercetin: Codeage Liposomal NMN formula also combines two of the vitamin B complex essential vitamins as well as quercetin. This formula provides Vitamin B2 as riboflavin-5-phosphate and vitamin B12 as methylcobalamine. These essential vitamins to support the metabolism have been blended with quercetin dihydrate from Japanese sophora flowers.
- Manufactured in the USA: Codeage NMN & resveratrol vitality blend is non-GMO and manufactured in the USA in a cGMP certified facility. This liposomal nicotinamide with riboflavin supplement doesn't contain any fillers, hormones, or artificial ingredients. Third-party tested.
10. Tru Niagen Immune Support Supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside with Vitamin D, C, Zinc and Curcumin)
ChromaDex Corp. (NASDAQ:CDXC) announced the company’s latest product innovation with the U.S. launch of Tru Niagen® Immune in April 2022, a first-of-its-kind combination of ChromaDex’s proprietary NAD-boosting ingredient Niagen® (patented nicotinamide riboside or NR), high-quality and proven immune-boosting nutrients (vitamins C, D, and zinc) for the optimal maintenance of aging cells, and Theracurmin® (a superior form of curcumin).
NAD+ is important to the healthy function of immune cells and is depleted by up to 80% when the body is under immune stress. Born from consumer insights, this new innovation was created to fulfill a customer need for an immune product. Tru Niagen Immune is now available online in the United States.
Ratings: 4.2 out of 5 - more than 80 reviews.
64% of NMN Supplements Fail Tests
ChromaDex NMN Report
(Oct 2021): Supplement manufacturer ChromaDex alleges that testing has revealed that more than half of NMN anti aging supplements being sold on Amazon contained almost none of the bioactive molecule.
ChromaDex markets TruNiagen, which is based on its branded Niagen ingredient, which is a form of nicotinamide riboside (NR), the form of nicotinamide that actively crosses into the cell to participate in the NAD+ pathway. Boosting this pathway, and thus maintaining cellular function at a lively, youthful level, has become a prominent theme in recent anti aging research.
In the several years since the NMN transporter discovery was asserted, the NAD+ anti aging field has become crowded with NMN based supplements all seeking a piece of the pie created by ChromaDex and its competitor and one time customer Elysium. (The two companies have been locked in various patent infringement and breach of contract suits for several years.)
Last fall, ChromaDex obtained 22 samples of NMN products being sold on Amazon. Of these, 14 claimed to contain 500 mg of NMN. A further two products claimed 300 mg on the label; five claimed 250 mg and one product claimed 125 mg.
Only one of the 500 mg products came close to meeting label claim. It had 456 mg of NMN. All of the other 13 products in the 500 mg group either came in at below reporting limit (BRL, defined as less than 1% of the stated amount) or, in the case of 3 products, no NMN was detected at all.
Almost all of the rest of the products performed better, having at least 88% of the label claim. A lone 250 mg product was identified as BRL.
In summary, ChromaDex said that 64% of the products tested contained less than 1% of the stated amount of the active ingredient, which should give consumers pause, the company said.
"While this is a limited snapshot of the vast NMN finished product landscape, it does provide a glimpse into the high variability of product quality that is available... According to this study, the majority of the products one might purchase online contain such a small amount of NMN that there would be no clinical benefits achieved from the dose. Another concern with these adulterated products is that the actual contents are not known and could pose a risk to the user," the company said in a statement.
NAD+ vs NADH
The key question is what ratio of NAD+ does your body need compared to NADH. While the optimal NAD to NADH ratio remains elusive, research suggests that a generally higher NAD to NADH ratio is favorable.
When it comes to a plain NAD label, it’s not wrong to be identified as a NAD booster. Generating more NAD+ will naturally generate more NADH. However, the specificity of NAD+ is more indicative of what your cells are truly building when using NAD+ boosting supplements.
Read more at NAD+ and NADH: What's the Difference?
How can I increase my NAD+ naturally?
- Reduce sun exposure
- Spend more time in warm places, like hot tubs or saunas
- Consume more food with Vitamin B like avocados, steam fish or milk
- Consume fermented food and drinks which contain NAD+ like sauerkraut and kombucha
- Intermittent fasting : Popular fasting plans often include 16- to 24-hour fasting periods twice a week, followed by healthy meals. This eating pattern triggers body shock, which can boost your natural supply of NAD+.- Ketosis Diets : a low-carb, high-protein, healthy fats food plan.
Do NAD+ Supplements Work?
The answer may not be so simple. NAD+ is a ubiquitous and fundamental molecule, involved in many biological pathways and cellular operations. Its ingestion could lead to a mix of positive and negative outcomes, the balance of which might depend on context. NAD+ precursors, consumed orally, may be taken up by some tissues more than others. And different cell types are known to employ distinct metabolic programs, which could lead to tissue-specific responses to NAD+.
Concerns and Cautions: Be aware that some of these NAD supplements provide amounts of vitamin B-3 above the established daily upper tolerable intake level. There is also a theoretical safety concern that compounds that raise NAD+ levels like, nicotinamide riboside, as well as NAD, NADH, and possibly NMN, may promote the growth of existing cancers.