10 Best Natural Supplements that Dissolve Blood Clots 2023
The main function of blood is to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the body and carry away the waste to be disposed. Blood travels in arteries and veins. Arteries carry blood from the heart to the rest of the body and veins bring it back to the heart.
When trauma occurs, or when we accidentally cut ourselves, the blood stream carries a type of protein (called clotting factors) to the damaged area to seal it from further blood loss.
Common causesIn short, all unhealthy lifestyle behaviours will increase the risk of an abnormal blood clot such as DVT and PE.
Here are some common risk factors:
- Prolonged immobility (post-surgery, car travel, plane travel)
- History of DVT
- Lack of physical activity
- Sleep apnea
- Low vitamin D (lack of sunshine)
- Genetic defects like Factor V Leiden, Prothrombin Gene mutation, MTHFR (MethyleneTetraHydroFolate Reductase) mutation and elevated homocysteine, Lp(a) and several others.
SymptomsThe most common symptoms are pain or swelling one leg compared to another in the case of a DVT.
PE (pulmonary embolism) may present as chest pain, but most likely shortness of breath.
Ultrasound of the legs is the diagnostic modality of choice. A CT scan may confirm if a clot traveled to the lungs.
Pharmaceutical treatmentTwo major categories here. Vitamin K antagonists (warfarin/Coumadin) or the non-vitamin K anticoagulants like Pradaxa, Xarelto, and Eliquis.
Natural Blood Thinning SupplementsThe following can be taken together or separately.
Disclaimer: Discuss with your doctor before stopping any pharmaceuticals.
1. N-acetylcysteine (NAC)
Many COVID-19 patients experience serious blood clots, and NAC counteracts hypercoagulation, as it has both anticoagulant and platelet-inhibiting properties.
Consider taking around 500 milligrams/day of NAC, as it helps prevent blood clots and is a precursor for your body to produce the important antioxidant glutathione.
2. Fish Oil and Omega-3 Fatty AcidsFish oil is a natural anticoagulant, which means it can prevent the blood from clotting. This property may help explain some of its heart health benefits, since thinning the blood may improve cardiovascular health. Omega-3s may increase bleeding risk when a person takes them with specific anticoagulant or medication. (R)
Commonly reported side effects of omega-3 supplements are usually mild. These include unpleasant taste, bad breath, heartburn, nausea, gastrointestinal discomfort, diarrhea, headache, and odoriferous sweat.
In a study comparing lumbrokinase to Serrapeptidase, aka serrapeptase, and nattokinase on a milligram to milligram basis, researchers found that lumbrokinase is about 300 times (1/294) stronger than serrapeptase and 30 times (1/36) times stronger than nattokinase. (R)
5. Nattokinase for Blood ClotsNattokinase dissolves blood clots by directly hydrolyzing fibrin and plasmin substrate. It converts endogenous prourokinase to urokinase (uPA). It also degrades plasminogen activator inhibitor (PAI-1) and increases the level of tissue plasminogen activator (t-PA). (Source)
In total, 12 studies met the inclusion criteria from 18,235 identified articles (including 595 participants). Most of the studies assessed platelet aggregation in response to different inducers. Of the 12 clinical trials, six studies depicted the beneficial effect of garlic on reducing platelet aggregation.