Flavonoid Vs Polyphenol Vs Phytochemical (2023)
Flavonoids, polyphenols, and phytochemicals are terms often used to describe different types of bioactive compounds found in plants, but there is some overlap between them as well.
Flavonoid Vs Polyphenol Vs Phytochemical
Here are the key differences and relationships between these terms:
- Flavonoids are a subgroup of polyphenolic compounds.
- Flavonoids in food are generally responsible for colour, taste, prevention of fat oxidation, and protection of vitamins and enzymes.
- Flavonoids have antioxidant properties and are known for their potential health benefits. A study suggests that the risk of some chronic diseases may be lower at higher dietary flavonoid intakes.
- Common examples of flavonoids include quercetin, kaempferol, and anthocyanins.
- Polyphenols are a larger and more general category of naturally occurring compounds found in plants.
- They are broadly dived in four classes; Phenolic acids, flavonoids, stilbenes and lignans.
- Polyphenols are known for their potential health benefits. Animal, human and epidemiologic studies show that various polyphenols have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that could have preventive and/or therapeutic effects for cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative disorders, cancer, and obesity. (R)
- Phytochemicals are a broad term that encompasses all bioactive compounds found in plants.
- This term is a more general one that encompasses a wide range of bioactive compounds found in plants, including flavonoids and polyphenols.
- Phytochemicals possess many biological activities and health benefits, such as antioxidant and free radical scavenging abilities, anti-inflammatory action, anticancer, anti-aging, and protective action for cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus, obesity and neurodegenerative diseases. (R)
Quercetin has been linked to the following health benefits:
- Possessing anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties that can help combat certain diseases. One study found that 500 mg of quercetin a day could improve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Helping prevent cancer cell growth from breast, colon, prostate, endometrial and lung.
- Counteracting allergic reactions and helping with immune responses.
- Helping to prevent osteoporosis
- Addressing cognitive decline, including Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Assisting in control of blood pressure. A study in 2002 found that quercetin can have vasodilator effects.
- Potentially helping to lower blood sugar levels. One study found that dosages of 500 mg per day “significantly reduced” fasting glucose levels.
1. Now Foods Quercetin with Bromelain
2. MoxyVites Quercetin 500mg with Bromelain Supplement
Moxyvites quercetin complex is a combination of quercetin phytosome and bromelain. Regular quercetin has poor solubility and low oral absorption. Moxyvites' technology binds quercetin with a glucose bond & incorporation of phospholipids into standardized extracts improving the absorption and bioavailability by 20X. Their complex delivery system utilizes phytosome technology in which phytoconstituents react with phospholipids for better and improved bioavailability.
Another added strength for this product is that it has curcumin as well, well known also for it's anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects.
Each capsule contains 250 mg of quercetin phytosome and 80 mg of bromelain. Cost per capsule: $0.29.
Our Take: If you are looking for best value in terms of quercetin phytosome with bromelain and are taking it on a long term basis, this would be your choice.
MoxyVites Quercetin Supplement Reviews
Nowadays we need all the immune boosting we can get!! This was recommended while I had Covid. I believe it lessened my symptoms and kept me out of the hospital because respiratory illnesses always go into my chest too which didn't do this time!
3. Doctor's Best Quercetin Bromelain, 180 Veggie Caps
Buy on Amazon
- Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free
- Bromelain 3000 GDU per capsule, has 500 Mg of Quercetin with 250 Mg Bromelain for a Serving size of 2 Capsules
- Quercetin and Bromelain enhances each other's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory potential. Quercetin is a bioflavonoid that has potent antioxidants while bromelain works as protein-digesting enzyme. Bromelain helps increase your body’s absorption and use of Quercetin.
- Helps support immune health, heart health, joint comfort, healthy digestions, respiratory health and inflammatory response.
- Quercetin helps ensure appropriate immune response, inhibits formation of free radicals and promotes circulatory health in part by supporting the integrity of small blood vessels.
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient which cannot be produced by humans (Nutrients. 2017). Because your body doesn't produce or store it, you need daily vitamin C for continued health. Vitamin C may be one of the most well-known immune nutrients that protect against immune deficiencies and which supports the prevention and recovery from the common cold and upper-respiratory issues, and also protects your cardiovascular system, eyes, skin, and other parts of your body.
Vitamin C is a particularly unique nutrient because it also functions as an antioxidant that protects your cells against potential damage.
Vitamin C Supplements
4. Smarter Raw Whole Food Vitamin C (Best Whole Food Vitamin C Capsule)
5. Viva Naturals Vitamin C
Non-GMO Vitamin C Supplements with Citrus Bioflavonoids & Rose Hips for Immune Support & Antioxidant Protection
- Antioxidant Properties: Apigenin is recognized for its antioxidant properties, which means it can aid in the fight against oxidative stress in the body. Oxidative stress has been linked to a number of chronic diseases.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Apigenin is a very effective anti-inflammatory agent, which can be beneficial for conditions involving inflammation, such as arthritis.
- Potential Cancer Prevention: Apigenin may plays a vital role in managing cancer’s development and progression. This flavonoid seems to have anti-cancer activities via the modulation of a various cell signaling pathways including angiogenesis, apoptosis, cell cycle and various other genetic pathways. Further studies are needed to confirm this statement.
- Sleep Improvement: Chamomile flower extract, with more than 2.5 mg of apigenin, was examined for its preliminary efficacy and safety for improving sleep and daytime symptoms in patients with chronic insomnia. Further studies are still needed to investigate these conclusions. (R)
- Heart Health: Apigenin may prevents cardiovascular diseases via antioxidant and anti-apoptotic mechanisms in vascular endothelial cells and cardiomyocytes. (R)
- Skin Health: Apigenin has been used for skin care. According to a study, topical apigenin improves epidermal permeability barrier function by stimulating epidermal differentiation, lipid synthesis and secretion, as well as cutaneous antimicrobial peptide production.
6. Double Wood Supplements Apigenin Supplement
Apigenin is a bioflavonoid and antioxidant compound which is found in many different plants and herbs but is especially abundant in chamomile tea. Apigenin is often used as a supplement for its relaxing properties and its ability to support healthy sleep quality and stress levels.
- supports sleep quality - supports healthy stress levels - manufactured in the usa
Ratings4.6 out of 5 - more than 1,000 global ratings
After a long day of work I sometimes take it. Specifically on day’s my mind is far too active around 8pm. I like to lie down and try falling asleep around 9/9:30pm.
7. Swanson Apigenin Bioflavonoid Supplement
Swanson's apigenin supplement aids prostate health support. Delivering 50mg apigenin per capsule, this powerful supplement may also support glucose metabolism and help maintain nervous system function. Our prostate supplement contains apigenin derived from celery, which is rich in vital nutrients that help combat oxidation and free radical damage. Support your health with ingredients you can trust!
For nearly 50 years, Swanson has delivered science-backed health products worldwide. Each wellness supplement is made in our GMP certified facilities, and our purity and potency testing includes independent third-party labs.
Ratings4.5 out of 5 - more than 1,300 global ratings
Since taking apigenin, my mind is more clear, and I sleep wonderfully. Thank you for making this product!
- Anti-inflammatory properties: A clinical trial with a formulation containing luteolin showed excellent therapeutic effect against inflammation-associated diseases. (Source)
- Cancer prevention: According to some research, luteolin may have anti-cancer properties and may aid in preventing the development of some types of cancer.
- Antioxidant properties: Luteolin has antioxidant properties that can aid in defending the body against free radical damage, which can result in cell deterioration and contribute to the development of chronic diseases.
- Brain health: Luteolin, a flavonoid compound, has been suggested to have neuroprotective properties. In vivo studies examining rat models have shown that luteolin protects against cognitive dysfunction induced by chronic cerebral hypoperfusion.
- Cardiovascular health: Luteolin may also help to improve cardiovascular health by reducing inflammation and lowering blood pressure.
8. Double Wood Luteolin Supplement 100mg per Servings (50mg/capsule)
9. Ulmubra Liposomal Luteolin 500mg
- Highest PotencyLiposomal Luteolin 500MG Formula on the market today. Each bottle contains 60 Softgels for a 30-day supply. Don’t settle for 100mg or 50mg luteolin supplements - Experience amazing Brain & Nervous System support, from our 500 mg per Serving of Luteolin, without breaking the bank.
- Get Significantly Higher Absorption Rates Liposome technology is revolutionizing the way we take Luteolin by successfully avoiding digestive elements, transferring the Luteolin from the digestive tract directly into the bloodstream achieving superior bio-availability & absorption. Enabling maximum delivery of your daily Luteolin need - much better than regular Luteolin.
- Incredible Health Benefits Luteolin is a bioflavonoid that can naturally be found in foods like oranges and artichokes. bioflavonoids enhanced brain, nervous system, and mood while helping to defend against age-related cognitive decline. Current research suggests Flavonoids like Luteolin help promote cardiovascular health. Liposomal luteolin contains powerful antioxidant properties and helps protect against free radical damage. Supporting healthy aging, healthier inflammatory responses, and immune system health*
- USA Proud Our easy-to-swallow Luteolin is an All-natural formula. Non-GMO, soy-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, chemicals-free, and artificial preservatives -free. Manufactured in the USA. Trusted Ingredients, Superior Quality. Ulmubra Luteolin supplement contains 30 servings of 500mg.
Ratings4.6 out of 5 - more than 330 global ratings
I purchased this product as I'm going through menopause and I was experiencing brain fog. After just a few weeks, I noticed a big difference. The fog has lifted and I'm feeling more myself.
a. Phytochemicals-Rich Foods
b. Can a lack of phytochemicals in the diet can lead to deficiency disease?
Best Phytonutrients Supplements: Review