10 Best Baby Formula for Babies with Acid Reflux 2023
Acid reflux is what happens when stomach contents and acid flow back up into the throat. This is a common problem in infants, especially those below 3 months old.This problem usually happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscle between the stomach and the esophagus, is weak or underdeveloped. If it doesn’t close properly, stomach contents can flow back into the esophagus.
When Will My Baby's Reflux Go Away?
A normal baby with mild acid reflux may spit up after feedings, but usually isn’t irritable. This problem usually stops after 12 months.
How To Soothe Baby Acid Reflux
- Rest their stomach. Keep your baby from eating or drinking for 30 to 60 minutes after vomiting so that their stomach has time to recover.
- Give them fluids. After 30 minutes, start by giving your baby small amounts (0.5 oz or less) of fluid every 5 to 10 minutes. If your baby vomits the fluid out, wait another 30 minutes. Then start again with small amounts of fluid every 5 to 10 minutes. Use water, breast milk or a clear, noncarbonated liquid.- Medicines. If your child has a fever, ask your pediatrician for the appropriate medication.
How can I treat my baby's reflux naturally?
- Avoid overfeeding. If the baby's stomach is too full, some of the contents might be pushed back out. To reduce overfeeding, feed your baby smaller amounts more frequently.
- Burp your baby frequently. Extra gas in the stomach causes gas bubbles to escape, which has a tendency to bring the rest of the stomach's contents up as well. Burp after and during meals.
- Limit active play after meals
- Hold your baby upright. Pressing on a baby's belly right after feeding may push their stomach contents out.
- Consider the formula. Frequent vomiting may serve as one of several signs that it's time to consider alternative formulas with your pediatrician.
- Give oatmeal. Only recommended for babies after 6 months old. Babies with reflux may need thicker food to order to swallow safely or reduce reflux.- Avoid tight diapers or clothing
Best Baby Formula for Babies with Acid Reflux
1. Enfamil A.R - Milk Formula for Babies who Throw Up Often
2. Gerber Good Start Soothe (HMO)
3. Similac for Spit-Up : Milk Formula for Babies who Spit Up Often
4. Happy Baby Organic Stage 1 Infant Formula
5. Enspire Gentlease
6. HiPP Anti-Reflux Special Milk Formula
7. Holle A2 Stage 1 Organic Baby Formula - Best Hypoallergenic Formula for Infants with Reflux
8. Kendamil Goat Milk Formula Stage 1 - Best Goat Milk Formula for Acid Reflux
9. Elecare Hypoallergenic Formula
10. PurAmino Hypoallergenic Infant Drink
For milk allergies, the baby’s immune system reacts negatively to the proteins in cow’s milk. Breastfed babies are reacting to the dairy his mother has eaten (the milk proteins pass through breast milk), while formula-fed babies are reacting to the cow’s milk proteins in the formula. In either case, a baby's immune system sees the cow’s milk proteins as foreign substances.
Milk intolerance, on the other hand, has nothing to do with cow’s milk proteins or the immune system, and instead has to do with the digestive system. Your child might have loose stools or blood in stool hours or days later.
2. How Do I Know If My Baby Has A Milk Allergy?If your baby shows the following symptoms, do see your pediatrician to check if your baby has a milk allergy.
- Frequent spitting up
- Signs of abdominal pain, or colic-like symptoms, such as excessive crying and irritability (especially after feedings)
- Blood in stool
- A scaly skin rash
- Coughing or wheezing
- Watery eyes and stuffy nose
- Trouble breathing or a bluish skin color
- Swelling (especially of the mouth and throat)