Acid reflux is what happens when stomach contents and acid flow back up into the throat. This is a common problem in infants, especially those below 3 months old.
This problem usually happens when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscle between the stomach and the esophagus, is weak or underdeveloped. If it doesn’t close properly, stomach contents can flow back into the esophagus.
When Will My Baby's Reflux Go Away?
A normal baby with mild acid reflux may spit up after feedings, but usually isn’t irritable. This problem usually stops after 12 months.
How To Soothe Baby Acid Reflux
- Rest their stomach. Keep your baby from eating or drinking for 30 to 60 minutes after vomiting so that their stomach has time to recover.
- Give them fluids. After 30 minutes, start by giving your baby small amounts (0.5 oz or less) of fluid every 5 to 10 minutes. If your baby vomits the fluid out, wait another 30 minutes. Then start again with small amounts of fluid every 5 to 10 minutes. Use water, breast milk or a clear, noncarbonated liquid.
- Medicines. If your child has a fever, ask your pediatrician for the appropriate medication.How can I treat my baby's reflux naturally?
- Avoid overfeeding. If the baby's stomach is too full, some of the contents might be pushed back out. To reduce overfeeding, feed your baby smaller amounts more frequently.
- Burp your baby frequently. Extra gas in the stomach causes gas bubbles to escape, which has a tendency to bring the rest of the stomach's contents up as well. Burp after and during meals.
- Limit active play after meals
- Hold your baby upright. Pressing on a baby's belly right after feeding may push their stomach contents out.
- Consider the formula. Frequent vomiting may serve as one of several signs that it's time to consider alternative formulas with your pediatrician.
- Give oatmeal. Only recommended for babies after 6 months old. Babies with reflux may need thicker food to order to swallow safely or reduce reflux.
- Avoid tight diapers or clothing
Best Baby Formula for Babies with Acid Reflux
1. Enfamil A.R - Milk Formula for Babies who Throw Up Often
Buy on Amazon
- Has rice starch to thicken their formula
- Has a lot of sugars to help settle fussy stomachs
- Main ingredients are nonfat milk, vegetable oils, rice starch, lactose, and maltodextrin.
- Enfamil A.R. has two types of prebiotics.
My LO was diagnosed with acid reflux was given meds and nothing worked. Added rice to the formula, tried many different kinds, was told it could be a lactose issue, then this finally worked!!! It is not lactose free, she did not need the meds and her spit up was completely resolved (besides normal baby spit up). Best thing I could have ever gotten! it is worth a shot if you are struggling to find a formula.
2. Gerber Good Start Soothe (HMO)
Buy on Amazon
- Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula
- For infants up to 12 months old experiencing colic, excessive crying, fussiness and gas
- With Iron, 2’-FL HMO and Probiotics for Digestive Health and Immune System Support
- Soothing Nutrition: Modeled after the complete nutrition and gentleness of breastmilk
- Features prebiotics, comfort proteins and probiotics that improve the good bacteria in tummies and promote soft stools
Our 2nd baby was born with a sensitive stomach unfortunately. We tried enfamil for sensitive tummies and similac. He was still waking up nearly every hour with gas pains. Our pediatrician recommended Gerber and he slept 3 solid hours for the first time that night: we were beyond thrilled!
3 months later and he is almost sleeping through the night. This formula seems to really agree with his gut.
: 4.8 out of 5 - more than 1,800 global ratings
3. Similac for Spit-Up : Milk Formula for Babies who Spit Up Often
Buy on Amazon
- Uses rice starch to thicken its formula
- Has a lot of sugars to help settle fussy stomachs
- Main ingredients are corn syrup, modified rice starch, milk protein isolate, vegetable oils and one prebiotic.
- Similac for Spit-up has two different sugar sources, and overall contains more sugar content than Enfamil.
- Has less milk products compared to Enfamil, which could help many babies with their spit-up
- Does not contain GMOs.
My baby had some digestive problems beginning at 2 months. Started her on this and also had an antacid prescribed. Her colic was cured and spit up too. Also had to pair these measures with a slow flow anti colic bottle. We have continued this formula and it has worked well. Baby is now almost 10 months old.
Likes : Mixing, Ease of use, For digestion, Weight, For kids, Gas, Value for money, Constipation, Powder
4. Happy Baby Organic Stage 1 Infant Formula
Buy on Amazon
- For babies from 0 to 12 months with sensitive bellies
- Provides a complete nutrient blend with lactose reduced by 75% to ease occasional fussiness & gas in lactose-sensitive babies
- Digestive Support: Our prebiotic mix (GOS & FOS) mimics the function of prebiotics found in breast milk
- Non-GMO & Gluten-Free
My baby was born in March and we tried a lot of formulas. They made him constipated, projectile vomit, or gave him colic all night long. I tried 10-12 different formulas. My pediatrician then recommended I go for soy, since he figured baby had a milk allergy. I didn't want to go that route, so I tried this as a last resort. My baby started to sleep during the night again and he wasn't constipated or vomiting at all. He doesn't even have spit-up with this one. It has been wonderful and he's almost 6 months now. He's growing at a healthy rate and enjoys his milk.
To add, I tried some formulas that smelled so bad I felt I gagged. This one doesn't smell bad at all. The only con is the price and that I can only find it on Amazon or Target.
: 4.7 out of 5 - more than 2,800 global ratings
5. Enspire Gentlease
Buy on Amazon
Enfamil Enspire is touted as the most similar milk formula to breast milk because it has Lactoferrin, unlike Neuro Pro. It contains hydrolysed milk proteins, making it easier to digest. Lactoferrin helps support the microbiome and prevents gastrointestinal infections. It is certified to be non-GMO.
It uses cow’s milk. It is also enriched with various plant-based ingredients to provide complete nutrition for your baby. However, since it contains cow’s milk and soy, it is not suitable for babies who are allergic to such ingredients.
Main ingredients : nonfat milk, whey protein-lipid concentrate, whey protein concentrate, lactose, and vegetable oil (which consists of coconut oil, soy oil, high oleic sunflower oil, and palm oil).
Added vitamins and minerals, lactoferrin, polydextrose, galactooligosaccharides, crypthecodiniumcohnii oil, and mortierellaalpina oil.
Polydextrose is a soluble fiber that usually acts as a sweetener for sugar-free and diabetic recipes. Unlike sugar, polydextrose doesn’t significantly increase the caloric count of the infant formula.
Adopted a newborn baby boy and this is the formula I decided to use because of the added "colostrum" type properties! As a farmer, we always use a colostrum type of formula at first for baby animals that don't get to nurse from mom. Didn't try this for our newborn until he was brought home at 4 days old, but he did excellent on it! He was Jaundice and I felt he still could benefit from a formula with the colostrum type properties. No spitting up at all! And the gas he had from the hospital's Similac formula, totally stopped after a full day on the Enspire! He used up the entire container after 10 days... (big baby, big eater). He was also cleared of his Jaundice at his 1st checkup! I switched him to the Enfamil Neuro-Pro Gentlease now that I don't feel the need for the extra "colostrum" benefit. He made the switch with ease and is now doing great on that too! But definitely a great 1st formula! I'm a foster mom and will definitely keep this on hand and use this with any newborn placements I get... as long as they don't have any specific dietary needs!!
6. HiPP Anti-Reflux Special Milk Formula
HiPP Anti-Reflux (AR) is made with locust bean (carob bean) gum. This makes the formula thicker, easier to keep down, and prevents regurgitation.
- For babies that struggle with spitting up their formula, acid reflux, or regurgitation.
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics : With these ingredients, the baby's gut is populated with healthy flora that is vital to their immune system.
- Added Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids that are part of brain and heart health.
- Made from skim milk to be easier to digest
- No starch added
- Fortified with vitamins to create a healthy immune system
- Constantly checked to make sure it meets the highest legal, safety and nutritional requirements
- Instant preparation, ready in minutes. Just add boiled water and shake well
- Made from only organic or naturally farmed ingredients and milk from grazing cows.
- No added glucose, fructose, sucrose, corn syrup, or rice syrup
My daughter was not tolerating ANY formula. After a trip to the emergency room, we found out that she has a milk allergy. The physician at the hospital told us to feed her soy formula! We saw our pediatrician the next day and she was appalled that the hospital doctor told us to feel her soy! She recommended a formula and even gave us samples. First two days were okay, after that, my daughter projectile vomited after every feed. HiPP was recommended to us by a friend. I did a ton of research because I had never heard of it before. IT HAS CHANGED OUR LIVES!!! It doesn’t have the stench that every other formula we tried had, it has no odor! It is the only formula my daughter has tolerated and she loves it! THANK YOU!! Super fast shipping as well. THANK YOU!!!
: 5/5 - more than 50 ratings
7. Holle A2 Stage 1 Organic Baby Formula - Best Hypoallergenic Formula for Infants with Reflux
Holle A2 cow milk formula is created from 99% organic ingredients. All European milk comes from herds raised on biodynamic, Demeter farms. In these farms, cows are treated in sustainable and appropriate environments. Cows graze in lush biodynamic pastures and are never dehorned.
- For newborns 0-6 months old
- EU Organic Certified
- No preservatives, soy, sugar, maltodextrin, or GMOs used.
Why choose A2 protein for your baby formula?
The proline found in A2 milk prevents BCM 7 from reaching your baby's body. This means baby's who may experience discomfort, inflammation, and digestive issues benefit from a simple switch to an A2 protein milk. Holle A2 cow milk gives babies a chance to continue drinking cow's milk, without having to try alternative goat's milk formulas.
8. Kendamil Goat Milk Formula Stage 1 - Best Goat Milk Formula for Acid Reflux
Why choose Kendamil Goat milk formula instead of the Kendamil cow milk formula? Goat milk is easier to digest than cow milk and the A2 milk makes the formula easier for infants to absorb. The added HMOs make this Goat milk formula different than the other options on the market as well.
- For newborns 0-6 months old
- You can supplement breastmilk with Kendamil Goat or use it alongside.
- Produced in the United Kingdom
- The selenium and natural prebiotics found in Kendamil Goat milk formula are similar to breastmilk, boosting your baby's immune system.
- Made with 100% full cream goat's milk that is loaded with prebiotics.
- Kendamil is rich in vitamins—such as iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D
- Organic Prebiotics from whole A2 Goat Milk
- No Palm Oil (Coconut Oil instead)
- No added sugars or synthetic preservatives
- No Fish Oil, plant based DHA instead
- No wheat, soy, maltodextrin or peanut ingredients
- Omega-3 and 6 LCPs (DHA & ARA) for brain development (without hexane extraction)
- Main Carbohydrate is lactose
Amino acid-based formulas offer complete nutrition for babies who need additional nutrition support. These formulas are appropriate for children who are unable to tolerate extensively hydrolyzed formulas. Because these formulas do not contain any intact proteins, they are tolerated by most children. Amino acid-based formulas are also known as “elemental” formulas.
9. Elecare Hypoallergenic Formula
- Complete Nutrition For Severe Food Allergies
- Amino Acid-based Infant Formula
IMPROVED SYMPTOMS: Well-tolerated formula clinically proven to help improve symptoms of severe food allergies and other GI conditions.
SUPPORTS GROWTH: Complete nutrition specially formulated to help growth & development in infants who need it most.
AMINO ACID-BASED FORMULA: Made with 100% free amino acids as the protein source for infants who cannot tolerate intact or hydrolyzed protein.
BRAND: Recommended by pediatric gastroenterologists; clinically shown to support growth and development.
THE CHOICE IS CLEAR: A trusted amino acid-based, hypoallergenic formula that has DHA and ARA
We loved this. My son had allergic colitis. Dairy and soy caused ulcers in his colon and the ulcers would bleed. We would find blood in his stools and jelly like clots. He was born 6lbs 2oz but two weeks after birth he was down to 5lbs 6oz. We couldn't figure out why he was having such a hard time. The pediatricians kept giving us soy and Alimentum but to no avail. He continued to bleed. Eventually our GI doctor suggested Elecare and gave us a few cans to try. She warned us that it was very expensive and never heard of anyone getting it covered by medical insurance. I purchased a can from Amazon once or twice. Eventually I found it too costly and called my health insurance and begged for coverage. I explained that we had no other options on feeding him. (Even my breast milk caused the bleeding.) The coverage nurse agreed it was necessity and Electra was billed as a medical supply. If your baby really needs this to thrive, please consider contacting your health insurance. All we had to do was order the shipment and 9 cans would come per month.
10. PurAmino Hypoallergenic Infant Drink
Buy Now on Amazon
- With Omega-3, DHA, Iron
SUITABLE FOR TUBE FEEDING: Puramino Jr is appropriate for both oral and tube feeding.
FROM ENFAMIL: PurAmino is an iron-fortified, hypoallergenic, amino acid-based infant formula for the dietary management of infants with severe cow’s milk protein allergy (CMA), not effectively managed by an extensively hydrolyzed formula
SUITABLE FOR MANY DIETARY CONDITIONS: PurAmino is also suitable for other conditions that may require an elemental diet including - Eosinophilic esophagitis, Short bowel syndrome, Malabsorption, Protein maldigestion
NUTRITIONALLY COMPLETE FORMULA: For infants and toddlers 0-24 months with DHA and ARA, nutrients also found in breast milk that promotes brain and eye development
EXPERT RECOMMENDED DHA: PurAmino has expert recommended DHA which provides brain-building nutrition
HYPOALLERGENIC: 100% Amino-Acid based, iron-fortified formula, suitable for infants & toddlers with lactose intolerance
Only thing my son can drink. What I didn’t know after months n months of purchasing these on here. Is that you can have ur pediatrician sign a paper and send it to your insurance company. And they pay for everything and have it sent directly to your home.
1. Milk Allergy vs Lactose Intolerance
For milk allergies, the baby’s immune system reacts negatively to the proteins in cow’s milk. Breastfed babies are reacting to the dairy his mother has eaten (the milk proteins pass through breast milk), while formula-fed babies are reacting to the cow’s milk proteins in the formula. In either case, a baby's immune system sees the cow’s milk proteins as foreign substances.
Milk intolerance, on the other hand, has nothing to do with cow’s milk proteins or the immune system, and instead has to do with the digestive system. Your child might have loose stools or blood in stool hours or days later.
2. How Do I Know If My Baby Has A Milk Allergy?
If your baby shows the following symptoms, do see your pediatrician to check if your baby has a milk allergy.
- Frequent spitting up
- Signs of abdominal pain, or colic-like symptoms, such as excessive crying and irritability (especially after feedings)
- Blood in stool
- A scaly skin rash
- Coughing or wheezing
- Watery eyes and stuffy nose
- Trouble breathing or a bluish skin color
- Swelling (especially of the mouth and throat)
Find Pediatricians (Child Specialists) in U.S.