Enfamil vs Similac: Which is Better?
The number of options for infant formulas have increased drastically in recent years, thus making it complicated when it comes to choosing the right one.
In this article, we will dive deeper into the pros and cons of Enfamil and Similac.
All Formula Brands Are Safe
It's always helpful to ask your child's pediatrician for specific recommendations, but generally speaking, all baby and infant formula brands sold in the United States—generic or brand-name—are safe to use. Every formula is regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and must meet the minimum nutritional requirements of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (the "Infant Formula Act").
This means that every major brand, such as Enfamil, Similac, Gerber Good Start, or Earth's Best, plus all store brands from Walmart, Target, or Kroger, etc., are safe to use and will meet your baby's basic nutritional needs.
That said, Enfamil and Similac aren’t exactly the same.
Enfamil vs Similac: Main Similarities & DifferencesEnfamil and Similac are both among the most popular milk brands in the US. Many of their products have similar content or are formulated to meet the specific needs of your baby.
- Both Enfamil and Similac offer a wide range of baby formula milk products.
- Both have a non-GMO version of their sensitive formulas.
- Both brands are declared by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) as safe to be used by babies.
- Both brands offer loyalty programs: Similac StrongMoms Rewards and Enfamil Family. Beginnings Program.
- Enfamil costs more than Similac when comparing similar products.
- Enfamil has more natural ingredients compared to Similac.
- Enfamil uses less sugar compared to Similac.
- Enfamil has higher amounts of iodine, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and selenium. Enfamil contains more vitamins C, B12, E, and K.
- Enfamil has more choline, pantothenic acid, folic acid, and inositol.
- Similac is a better source of copper. Similac has higher levels of thiamin, vitamin D, riboflavin, niacin, and biotin.
- Enfamil currently has 15 baby formula products, whereas Similac has 20
General Nutritional Comparison of Enfamil vs Similac
Both brands have cow milk-based, lactose-containing formulas enriched with iron, vitamins, and other minerals. For lactose intolerant babies, there are soy-based formulas as well.
Similac - Whey and casein proteins
Enfalac - Whey and casein proteins
DHA & ARA
Both brands contain DHA and ARA (Except Nestle Nourish Plus)
Enfalac - Contains Prebiotics
Enfalac - No Probiotics
Enfalac - No Antioxidants
Similac - Soy and Coconut Oil
Enfalac - Palm Olein Oil
1. Best Milk Formulas for Overall Nutrition
A. Enfamil Overview
Alert: Similac Formula Recall 2022
Can I mix Enfamil and Similac?